Student news round up 12/03/18

0
375
Student news world wrap logo

This week’s student news from around the globe.

Islamic university bans burqas on campus (Indonesia)

The State Islamic University in Yogyakarta city faced criticism from Muslim groups and activists last week for banning female students from wearing full-face veils, citing fears over the spread of radical ideology on campus. 41 students using the full veil, or burqa,  will be offered counselling sessions and ultimately be asked to take off the veil if they wanted to graduate. The Islamic Defenders Front, a conservative group that campaigns against activities it deems un-Islamic, said the policy “did not make sense” and was in conflict with the country’s efforts to preserve diversity. Read the report on the Reuters site

Educationist criticises ‘craze’ for university degrees (Kenya)
A top educationist has criticised the conversion of technical institutions into universities. Professor George Magoha, the chairman of the Kenya National Examinations Council, recently said Kenya could end up with an insufficient number of technicians necessary to support key sectors of the economy. “It is wrong to convert major technical institutions into universities as they equally play a major role in our society. Not everybody should be a (degree) graduate. It’s absolute nonsense and stupid.” He said the “craze for degrees” is destroying the country. – Full report on the Daily Nation site

Thousands more university places set aside for women (Afghanistan)

The Afghan government is set to earmark up to 7,000 additional seats for women in public sector universities across the country in a bid to encourage higher participation. Following the fall of the Taliban regime 17 years ago, the war-ravaged country has witnessed significant progress towards female education although it is still hampered by social, economic and security constraints. Establishing women’s hostels on campus and developing dedicated kindergartens in all universities is an area the Afghan government is keen on, to encourage families to allow women and girls to study in a secure and sustainable environment. – Read the full story on University World News site

Kobe U. student aims to ease global hunger (Japan)

In December 2017, Mana Ogawa was selected as the leader of a Kobe University student group involved in the “Table For Two” initiative in which a portion of healthy food sales are used to provide meals to people in developing countries. Ogawa and the 12 other members of the TFT Kobe University Project student group, develop their own recipes and have them added to the menu of a cafeteria run by the university cooperative for a limited period twice a year. Nearly 1 billion people worldwide are believed to be struggling with hunger. A donation of ¥20 provides a meal in a developing country. – Read the story on the Japan News site.